Feb 22, 2012

WFMW: My Favorite Breakfast Food

My very favorite meal is breakfast.

{Except I don't like to eat it at breakfast time.  Weird, I know.}

So today I am listing a few of my favorite breakfast recipes/restaurant items/etc. so that you can try them too!  Oh, and just FYI, none of these are particularly healthy.  You've been warned...

-Okay, now I KNOW you are gonna think I'm crazy, but I love Waffle House.  My husband calls it Awful House, but it's just because he hasn't learned to appreciate the er, um, uniqueness of this wonderful place.  And my favorite item, in fact, the only thing I ever order, is the ham and cheese omelet and hash browns smothered and covered!  (If you have been to waffle house, you know what I'm talking about!).  It's the perfect comfort food. 





-Apple Cinnamon Pancakes is a family favorite.  It all started when I didn't have any blueberries or other fun fruit to mix into our pancake batter one morning.  I did a little quick thinking and added about a cup of applesauce and a few dashes of cinnamon and 2 packets of raisins.  I served them up and now, it's their favorite kind.


-Breakfast Strata is a recipe I got from a coworker many years ago.  It has become a Christmas tradition for us, and the aroma that fills the house when it's baking is Ah-Maz-Ing!  Here is the recipe I use:



16 slices bread-crust removed


16 slices cheddar cheese


1 ½ lbs. Sausage, browned



butter 8 slices bread, (or enough bread to make 2 layers), place buttered side down in 9X13 pan. Layer meat, cheese, meat, cheese, bread. 



6 eggs


3 C. milk


½ t. dry mustard


½ t. salt

Combine this mixture and pour over bread.  Cover and refrigerate over night.



mix ½ C. melted margarine  and ½ C. bread crumbs.  Top over sandwiches.  Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.




-Cracker Barrel is pretty much the breakfast mecca.  And if you haven't tried their Wild Maine Blueberry Pancakes, you have no idea what you're missing.  They serve it with delicious, warm blueberry syrup and I'm telling you that it is heaven on a plate.  Go get some.  Now.

Image Detail


-Sometimes, something simple is just what you need.  One of my favorite simple and quick breakfast items is a piece of toast covered in peanut butter with a sliced banana on top.  And if you're feeling really edgy, drizzle a little honey on it too. 


-One of my go-to restaurants for meeting up with friends for breakfast is First Watch.  They have this menu item there called the Breakfast Scramble.  It's Scrambled Eggs, Spinach, Ham, and melted Cheddar and Monterey Jack on toast. They top it with hollandaise sauce and they serve it with fresh fruit and potatoes.  It is soooo yummy, and very filling.  It never disappoints.

Image Detail


-when I was younger, and living at home, my mom would get up every Saturday and make us a big breakfast.  Sometimes it was pancakes or french toast, but mostly it was eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy.  My older sister had this trick of having her eggs with the yolk still runny, and breaking up her bacon into the eggs and mixing it all together.  It sounds totally gross, and I used to think it was too, until I tried it.  It is absolutely one of the best things ever.


-Egg McMuffin.  The original.  Sometimes, you just shouldn't mess with perfection.


-Overnight Blueberry French Toast is a recipe I fund on Pinerest.  I made it for our house church and it was a big hit!  Here is the recipe.



Pinned Image


-And finally, in the town I live in, there is this little donut shop called Bill's.  They have a peanut butter icing filled donut with chocolate icing on top.  It is so addictive that you will crave them in the middle of the night.  I speak from experience.


Image Detail

Hope you've enjoyed my little walk down breakfast lane.  So tell me, what's your favorite breakfast food??

I will be linking up with We Are THAT Family for Works For Me Wednesday.  be sure to check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I LOVE hearing from my readers, and I really appreciate your feedback.