May 21, 2011

Advice for Teenagers


I saw this article on our local newspapers website and it was about advice you might give a graduate.  It was good advice, but it got me to thinking...

Isn't it kind of too late once the kid is graduating High School?

I mean, it's never too late to change, (I am a good example of that...if you had known me in High School, you would know I am KIND OF a different person!), but a lot of the character building takes place before that.  Plus, so much of what happens in your High School days determines the path your life will take.  For example, if you don't study and get good grades, you probably won't be attending college.  And not going to college could have a big impact on the rest of your life.

Anyway, it made me wonder about the advice I would give my girls before they head into High School, maybe even Middle School.  Things I have learned first hand, and things I have observed. 

Here are a few of my thoughts...

-Don't bully other kids and don't let anyone else bully you.

-Get involved in lots of extracurricular activities, but remember that they are extracurricular!

-They are going to teach you lots of math that they promise you will need to know later.  And honestly, you probably won't (unless you become a math teacher or engineer).  But learn it anyway!

-Make lots of friends, but don't get so wrapped up in them that you lose who you are.

-Remember that you will probably make all new friends once you go to college.

-Work hard to get good grades.  Those will get you into college, your friends and activities won't!

-That hairstyle you think looks so good now won't be so hot 20 years from now.  (And if anyone suggests a perm, run away!)

-Don't be afraid to try new things, (unless those things are drugs and alcohol!).

-The chances that you will marry your high school sweetheart are slim, so don't invest too much of yourself in that relationship.

-Speaking of boys...it's better if you just stay away from them altogether, (okay, I know this one is unlikely, but a momma can wish can't she?!).

-Do lots of babysitting.  This will help to show you that it's probably best to wait for a LONG TIME to have babies!

-Take care of your body.  Eat healthy and exercise, and then remember that God loves you just the way you are!  You are beautiful!!!!

-Being Homecoming, (or Prom), Queen are great, but nobody will care about that after high school.  Concentrate your efforts on things that are important.

-Learn the importance of volunteering your time for things that make a difference in peoples lives.

-Don't even ask to go away on spring break...I watch reality TV and I know what happens!

-Start to be a money saver (not spender!) now.  That lesson will serve you well for the rest of your life.

-Don't be afraid to be goofy and embarrass yourself.  Don't take yourself too seriously!

-Stand up for the kids who need it!  You know what the right thing to do is, so do it!

-Don't be afraid to tell your momma anything.  I will always listen without judging.

-Be an honest and loyal person. 

-When you hear older people talk about the mistakes they have made, listen!  Then see how you can apply that to your life.

-Wearing too much make-up just makes you look trampy...don't do it!

-Also about trampy, don't wear clothes that show too much skin.  No matter what you think, it doesn't look good.

-Be a leader, not a follower.

-Don't spend these years being over dramatic.  Just choose to be happy!

-God has an amazing plan for your life...remember that and try not to mess it up! :)

Anyhow, these were just a few of the things I thought of.  What would you say?  What would be your advice to your soon-to-be highschooler?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I LOVE hearing from my readers, and I really appreciate your feedback.